Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cookies



In my last post, I was boasting about the lovely September weather Seattle was having,well that has come and gone. October has brought nothing but rain!

Fall is by far my favorite season of the year. I don’t know if it is crisp cool air, the sweaters, boots and scarves, or the ushering in of the holiday season, but nothing can compare in my book!

My birthday is in October, so I will always have a special place in my heart for apples and pumpkins. They were always an integral part of my birthday parties and when my mom would start bringing them home from the grocery store, I knew my birthday was getting close!

I was at COSTCO the other day, and they had canned pumpkin in. I couldn’t resist and I bought a pack (I know have more pumpkin than I know what to do with!) While this isn’t organic pumpkin, Pumpkin is extremely low on the “dirty” list for produce contaminated with pesticides.

After my Costco trip, I couldn’t stop staring at the cans, wondering what deliciousness I could come up with! First on the list? Cookies of course!

These cookies are moist, packed with flavor and taste exactly like fall! I am definitely going to be making these again soon!

Pumpkin Spice Cookies:

1 cup softened virgin coconut oil (or unsalted butter)
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups brown rice flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 to 4 teaspoons cinnamon (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl use an electric mixer to blend together the coconut oil, pumpkin, sugar, flax seeds, and vanilla extract. Add the remaining ingredients and beat together again.


Drop by the spoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Use a fork or flat edge to flatten the cookies (they will not change shape while cooking). Lightly sprinkle the tops of each cookie with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Remove cookies and place them onto a wire rack to cool. 

Serve with a scoop of "rice cream" or yogurt.  
* I apologize for the terrible picture quality in this post. These were taken on my cell phone, which is clearly lacking in the camera department!

No comments:

Post a Comment