Monday, September 20, 2010

Life's Busy... There's no Time for God Today

If you are like me, you find time during each day (or almost each day) to send a quick text, email or phone call to your best friend, husband, parents, or whoever it is you are close to, to find out how their day is going or to just say “hi” or “I love you”. It’s easy right? It takes about 5 seconds and you and the person you are communicating with both are encouraged / blessed by the thoughtfulness of that quick act of kindness.

Jesus longs for this same kind of communication with us. He doesn’t need you to spend 30 minutes with him EVERY TIME you talk with him. He longs for companionship with us, just as our husbands and friends do, even more so! See?

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" - Zephaniah 3:17

Yeah, that’s right, the almighty God rejoices over ME with singing!

It’s just as easy to build relationship with Jesus throughout the day as it is to build relationship with our loved ones.

Here are some ways I interact with Jesus everyday, and let him know I’m thinking about him, am grateful for him and am madly in love with him:

  • On my way to work I crank up my worship music and sing the words TO Jesus, instead of just singing about him

  • When I get to work, before I walk in the door, I pray for him to meet me at work, to spend the day with me, and to show me how to best honor him

  • Whenever something good happens during the day, or I see something that brings me joy, I internally thank the Lord for loving me enough to bless me with whatever it is that is bringing me joy!

  • I have a day-by-day scripture calendar on my desk, I meditate on God’s loving words to me throughout the day

  • I thank him for blessing me with my friends, husband, family, every time one of them communicates with me through the day. Jesus loves me enough to give me SUCH wonderful people in my life!

  • My husband and I thank Jesus for his abundant blessings before dinner each night

  • I have a special devotion time each night that I spend with Jesus, basking in his presence and reading the bible (AKA, his love letters written for ME and you!)

  • We invite Jesus to sit on the foot of our bed every night. To be with us in our home and hearts, to spend each night with us!

Most of the things on this list only take me a few seconds, but they keep my heart and my mind close to Jesus all day long. They keep my mind set on the positive things that this life has to offer, and most of all, they keep my life in place where I am honoring God.

God needs relationship with us just as much as we need relationship with him. He wants to talk with us all day. He delights in our quick prayers and “hellos”.  He is overjoyed when we express out love and thankfulness to him. He yearns for good quality time with us each day.

I want to encourage you to incorporate Jesus into your whole day. Thank Jesus for the small things, recognize all the ways he blesses you throughout the day. Take a quick second to say “I love you, Jesus. Thank you for being with me today”. He longs for your companionship. The creator of the universe CRAVES your admiration and love. I think the least we can do is meet his needs and honor him by expressing our love to him!


Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son - Ephesians 1:4-6 (The Message)




I would like to add that I do think it is very important to find a good chunk of time each day to spend in your bible and dedicate to the Lord. Any healthy relationship requires that we invest quality time with that person, and a good relationship with the Lord is no different. Only you can find the time that will work best for you. I personally take a half hour each night before bed. Some people find the morning the best time for them. I encourage you to prayerfully consider what time will work best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment