Monday, August 22, 2011

Tomato Basil Pasta



I have been craving a “tomato-basil” anything lately. There is something so refreshing and wonderful about these two flavors together. I didn’t go out looking for a recipe like a usually do because I wanted to get creative with the food I already had in my house. I wish I would have had some fresh basil, but all I had was dried. This dish would be delicious with some fresh basil leaves as well!

I threw together this dish and while the sauce didn’t turn out exactly like I thought it would, I am still really happy with the final outcome. This dish is light, refreshing and perfect for a summer’s evening!

Tomato-Basil Pasta

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (or quartered, depending on the size of your tomatoes)
½ onion, chopped and sautéed
3 chicken sausages, sliced (Italian sausage would be great as well)
1 Tbps + extra for sprinkling dried basil (a handful of fresh basil leaves would be divine as well)
1 package gluten-free spiral noodles (we get ours at Trader Joes)
Goat cheese (optional)

Dressing:
¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbps (or to taste) minced garlic
1 tsp white vinegar
1 Tbps dried Basil
5-10 cashews
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp organic sugar
¼ cup water


I started by making the dressing. Add all ingredients to a blendtec or food processor. Blend until creamy and completely smooth. Set dressing aside.

Prepare noodles according to package. While noodles are cooking, cook your sausage until slightly browned. Saute your onions as well. Once noodles are cooked and drained, combine sausage, onions, tomatoes, basil and top with the dressing. Mix until well combined. Top with some shredded goat sheep and combine. Serve on plate and top serving with a sprinkle of additional basil. 


No comments:

Post a Comment