Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Papa's Chicken



I plan my meals a month in advance. I find that this is the easiest way for me to stay within our grocery budget, for me to cook healthy nutritious meals and to make sure that we don’t eat out every night. It is so much easier to come home from work after a long day and not have to think about what’s for dinner. I simply look at my chart, and start cooking. I already have all the ingredients and I rarely plan for anything that takes longer than 30-45 minutest to prepare!

Last night, however, was one of those rare nights when I got home, the vegetables had gone bad, the meat wasn’t thawed and I had NO desire to try and be creative and make the dinner work. So I dug through our freezer and fridge to see what we had and this recipe is a result of our existing ingredients. We loved it (my husband did especially – anytime he gets bacon, he’s a happy boy!)

Papa’s Chicken
4 Boneless Free Range Chicken Breasts
8 Slices Nitrate Free Bacon
1.5 Cups Homemade BBQ Sauce, divided

Homemade BBQ Sauce
¾ cup Organic Ketchup
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 T Garlic Powder
1 T Onion Powder
1 T Honey

Mix in a small pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 350

Rinse and pat dry your chicken breasts. Place Chicken Breasts in a 9x13 lightly greased baking dish. Poor half of your BBQ Sauce over chicken breasts. Place in over and bake for 30 minutes.

While chicken is baking, cook the bacon until crispy. When chicken timer goes off, place 2 slices of bacon on each chicken breast. Top with remaining BBQ Sauce. Bake for 10-15 more minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

Such an easy dinner, and if your husband is anything like mine, it will be a HUGE hit!

I'm sharing this on Real Food Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesdays, and Pennywise Platter Thursdays and Real Food Weekly

2 comments:

  1. That looks SO YUMMY!!! I eat GF too...love all the recipes you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very tasty. Thank you for sharing it on Real Food Weekly.

    ReplyDelete