Friday, January 28, 2011

Triple-Seed Crackers


One thing I love as much as blogging and cooking, is reading other blogs about whole food cooking! I have noticed that almost every blog I follow has some sort of cracker recipe.

I’m not sure why but crackers seemed intimidating to me. I was fearful that they would come out bland, too dry, burnt, ect, and it would be a lot of work, for little payoff.  Well, I decided yesterday to conquer my fears and tackle making a batch of crackers.

Oh man! I am bummed that I waited this long to make crackers. This recipe (that I got from Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen) and slightly adapted to use what I had at home is amazing! The crackers are delicious, and they were SO easy. They were actually pretty fun to make too!


Triple-Seed Crackers 

1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
6 to 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 to 1/2 cup water

Topping:
1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 to 2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 to 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
S ea salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375

Place the sorghum flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Mix lightly.  add the quinoa and extra virgin olive oil. Process until well combined. Add your water slowly while processing, just until the dough forms a ball. Once a ball has formed, your dough is ready. Do not add any additional water.

Split your dough in half. Take one half and roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper. Make sure to get the dough rolled out as thin as possible, so you have crispy cracker.

Remove the top layer of parchment and sprinkle with seeds. Place top layer parchment paper back on top of dough and gently press/roll the seeds into the dough. Remove top parchment paper.



Slide the rolled-out dough onto a large cookie sheet. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into small squares.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (Mine only took about 15 minutes). Watch baking time carefully as it will totally depend on the thickness of your crackers.  Crackers will crisp up as they cool

No comments:

Post a Comment