Thursday, September 23, 2010

Learning to be Thrifty



As I started my family’s journey to whole food eating, I quickly realized that there were a lot of things that I didn’t have in order to prepare, cook, or serve our food.

These items ranged from a good blender, to no glass containers to store my food (after I realized all the dangers of plastic) to baking pans, ect! I really wanted to lead my family down this new, healthy path, however the start up cost was seeming overwhelming!

Then, as I sat there staring at my ever-growing list of needs, I had a brilliant idea (that doesn’t happen that often!)… the Thrift Store!

Not only is shopping at a thrift store the most frugal option, it is also the best for the environment. Purchasing gently used items helps reduce waste and it repurposes perfectly good items someone else has no need for!

Here is a list of items that I was able to find at our local thrift store and their prices:

1 Large Glass Blender, perfect working condition - $ 7.99
1 Coffee Grinder, good working condition - $ 6.99
1 Britta Water Pitcher, perfect condition - $ 4.99
1 Hand held Cheese Grater – Brand new - $ 2.99
1 Food Processor – Like New condition – Free (this was from a friend who didn’t need it any more!)
Baking Pans – great condition - $ 1.99 - $ 6.99

That’s not all you can get at a thrift store, you can furnish your whole house, dress your family, decorate your house, buy games, books, crafts, ect! There is so much good stuff there!

To buy any of those things new I would have paid easily triple the cost of any of them! There are also great alternatives to thrift stores now adays, check out these resources too:


The internet offers a plethora of thrifty options! Save yourself some money, and save the environment a little waste at the same time! 

I'm sharing this on Simple Lives Thursdays

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog today. 15 years ago I started having arthris symptoms and for years tested positive for RA. It was mild enough that I only took OTC meds when needed and I no longer test positive. I now believe I have a form called Palindromic rheumatism. I do have flares, but because of God's grace , along with diet and lifestyle changes (REST) I do fine most days. If I overdo, I flare.
    I agree with you totally about soy and plastics.
    I am also careful of ingredients in any personal care product.
    Just yesterday my mom told me she had read drs. believe there is a link between high fructose corn syrup and pancreatic cancer.
    Whole organic food is the way to go. I pray you and your hubby experience healing.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete