Thursday, September 2, 2010

Banana Bread

I have been dairy-free for about 3 or 4 years and gluten free for going on 2 years and there are very few things I still really “miss” eating. Most of the time, the thought of the stomach ache and discomfort that would come by eating dairy or gluten is enough to keep any longings for those foods away. There are a few things that I do truly miss, such as Nachos, coffee cake and the delicious “Christmas Bread” my mom bakes every year.

If you are lucky enough to know my incredible momma, you know that every Christmas she bakes a dozen or so loafs of her famous bread and gives them out to friends and family. The recipe is slightly different every year. Sometime is Zucchini Walnut, sometimes Cranberry Orange. No matter what type, the end result is always to die for! It’s warm, soft and succulent.

I have tried quite a few gluten-free bread recipes. To be perfectly honest, they always are lacking. They are crumbly and usually really dry. Until I tried this bread recipe from Spunky Coconut! It is so moist, and dense and, just like my mom’s Christmas bread, succulent! It may be the best Banana Bread I’ve ever had!  This recipe could also easily be changed around to your liking, you could add nuts, cranberries or raisins, or sub the banana’s for zucchini and make zucchini bread! Get creative!


Banana Bread (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free):
For 2 Loafs (This recipe could easily be divided for just one loaf)

Add to bowl:
4 mashed bananas (the riper the better!)
8 room temp eggs (cold eggs will harden the coconut oil)
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut sugar
6 tbs liquefied coconut oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Creme liquid stevia (I didn’t have this, so I just added about a tsp of unrefined sugar)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these as I prefer nut-less bread)
Beat with electric mixer.

Line the bottom of two loaf pans with unbleached parchment paper (I didn’t have any parchment paper, so I just greased the loaf pan really well and it worked just fine), then grease the paper and the walls.

Divide the batter into the pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes

Then enjoy! I top my with some honey or homemade freezer jam! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment