Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coconut-Breaded Halibut



When I first started buying organic food in bulk, I might have gone a little crazy. I may have an entire cupboard full of 5 lbs bags of flour, baking ingredients and such, just maybe!

One thing that I bought in bulk (and look back and have NO idea why) was shredded coconut. Now, many of you are thinking that there is a lot you could do with 5 lbs of coconut, and I’m sure you are right, but me? I don't like shredded coconut! I never have, I probably never will! I don’t like the taste, I don’t like the texture and I avoid foods with shredded coconut on/in them.(This leads me back to the point “why do I have 5 lbs sitting in my house?!?)

Well, in an effort not to waste the coconut, I decided to try this recipe for Coconut-breaded Halibut. Let me bring up another point… I do not like seafood very much. In fact, I didn’t have my first voluntary bite of fish until I was dating my husband. Now, I can eat shrimp and tilapia and that’s about it! I am slowly working my way toward different varieties, but it is a slow transition.

All of that to say, I have no idea why I thought I would LOVE this recipe. It includes two ingredients that even on a good day, I don’t like! Needless to say, this is not my favorite recipe, however my husband really liked it and I’m sure if you are not afraid of coconut and like fish, this would be a great dish!

Coconut-breaded Halibut (or Cod or Tilapia)

1 cup shredded coconut, finely chopped
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon Cajon seasoning
4 (4 ounce) Halibut fillets or similar white fish
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Egg whites

Preheat oven to 350

Toss together the coconut, flour and Creole seasoning in a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss the fish with the cornstarch, and shake off the excess. Pour the egg whites into a separate bowl, and dip the fillets in the egg. Next, press fillets in the coconut mixture coating all sides. 


Place fillets into a lightly greased baking dish. Bake the fish for 10-12 minutes, or until the coconut is browned, and the fish is flakey. 

Viola! 

Im sharing this on:
Pennywise Platter
Real Food Weekly
Full Plate Thursdays
Its a keeper Thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment