Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy Pot Roast and Veggies



When I married my husband, I made it a priority to find out what his favorites home cooked meals were so that I could make them on a semi-regular basis or for special occasions for my sweetie. What were they you ask? His mom’s potato salad, steak and Pot Roast.

Steak? No problem! I don’t mean to brag, but I can make a mean steak. Potato salad? A little more intimidating, but because he loves his mom’s specific recipe, all I had to do was get the recipe from her and have her help me with the first batch. Pot Roast? That’s a whole other story. I had never, ever, made a pot roast before we were married. I don’t think I had even eaten a pot roast in 10 years.

Well, in the almost 1 year that we have been married I have successfully made at least 5 pot roasts and have received raved reviews from my hubby every time! I don’t know why I was so intimated by the thought, pot roast is definitely one of the easiest meals to prepare and almost impossible to mess up!


Crockpot Pot Roast w/Veggies

1 Beef Roast (any kind will do, really! I used Chuck Roast last night)
10-15 mini carrots or 3 large carrots, peels and chopped into quarters or fifths
1 large onion, chopped into large chunks
Potatoes – amount to your liking (cubed and skinned, if using Russets)
1 Tablespoon Allspice
1 ½ Tablespoon garlic salt
1 Teaspoon Thyme (or spice of your choice)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, combine allspice, garlic salt, and Thyme, salt and pepper. Rub the spice mix onto your roast. Save remaining spice mix.

Place your roast in the center of your Crockpot. Place carrots, potatoes, and onions around the roast. Sprinkle the remaining spice mix over top of veggies and pot roast.

Lastly, add the minced garlic over top of the veggies and pot roast.

Cook for 8 hours on low, or 4-6 hours on high. I have found it is juicer and melts in your mouth more if you can cook it for longer on a lower heat than on the higher setting, however either way works!



This meal is great because you have a whole meal done when you get home from work. Through it on the plate and you are good to go!

I'm sharing this on Real Food Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesdays, and Pennywise Platter Thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment