Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My “Famous” Spaghetti and Meat Sauce



As I mentioned in my last few posts, my husband and I were on the Carnival Splendor cruise ship last week, the one that was stranded at sea for 4 days! (You can read this post for more information about our experience and for lots of pictures). By the time we were home on Sunday, we were both craving a home-cooked, warm meal.

I decided that Monday night’s dinner would be our all time favorite meal that I make, my “famous” spaghetti and meat sauce! When I first moved out of my parent’s house and out on my own, I knew nothing about cooking, eating healthy or my way around a kitchen. The one thing I did know how to make? Spaghetti. It has been my favorite food since I was about three years old, and over the years I have mastered the meat sauce!

This recipe will forever be my go-to recipe and my favorite food. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do!

My “famous” Spaghetti and Meat sauce:

1 Pack Organic Rice Spaghetti Noodles (I use Trader Joes)
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 can organic marinara sauces ( I use Trader Joes)
1 large pepper (any color, I usually use green to add color), diced
½ - 1 can of olives, diced
1 can organic diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp of minced garlic (we like garlic so I lean towards 2)
pinch of turbinado (or other natural sweetener)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp Italian seasoning

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and onions to skillet. As the meat is browning, add salt and pepper to taste.

Once the meat is almost all browned, add the peppers to the skillet. keep cooking over medium heat.

Once the meat is browned, fill a separate large pot with water and heat over high until it boils.

While the water is heating up, add the olives, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning to the large skillet. Mix the ingredients well. Once mixed, top with the can of marinara sauce, add the pinch of sweetener and lower heat to medium low.

Once the water is boiling in your large pot, cook the noodles according the directions on the box.

Once the noodles are done cooking and you have drained and rinsed them, scoop them onto a plate and top with the meat sauce, which should be well cooked and combined by now.Then.. enjoy :)

I am sharing this on Real Food Wedensdays, What's cooking Wedensdays and Pennywise Platter Thursdays

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! What an experience but thank goodness you all are ok!!!

    Your spaghetti looks absolutely scrumptious though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so blessed to have found your blog through Nourishing Gourmet's pennywise platter! My husband has a severe dairy allergy and colitis so I'm learning how to prepare wholesome nutritious foods for him! thank you for any recipes you post! I'm book marking them all!

    Blessings to you and your husband this christmas season!!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne,

    I am so glad you can find some good recipes here! I will try to keep up on posting through this busy season (I can't seem to find the time to do anything this month!)

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete