Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Creamy Beef and Onions


There is something about Beef Stroganoff that brings me back to my childhood. That may be because I have never once made this recipe since I’ve moved out on my own. There are two main reasons for that…one, it sounded complicated, two, it is loaded with sour cream and has flour in it. Both are big no-nos in our house.

I decided to get creative last night and adapt this recipe into a dairy free, gluten free recipe! And I have to say, I am VERY excited! Don’t get me wrong, this did not taste exactly like “real” beef stroganoff, but it was creamy and delicious none the less! Since this doesn’t resemble Beef Stroganoff I decided to rename this dish!

Creamy Beef & Onions

1 ½ lean beef (we used a top round steak)
3 T Coconut Oil
1 Medium Onion, chopped and grilled (grill in 2 tsp of oil, until slightly brown, about 15 min)
1 ½ cup Beef Broth
1 T All purpose GF Flour (Bob’s Redmill)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Cute the beef across the grain 1-2 inches long and ¼ inch wide (or as close as you get to this!)

In a large skillet melt 2 T Coconut oil over medium high heat. Add beef and reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Allow to cook slowly tossing occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add Onions and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Once meat and onions have cooked, set aside meat, mushrooms and juices. In the same pain melt 1 T over medium high heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute, scraping up brown bits in the pan. Add Cashew cream and stir briefly,  stir in meat juices and beef broth, once combined, add beef  and onions to skillet. Cook until heated through, do not boil.

Serve over swirl noodles or rice.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never used coconut oil or cashew cream before! Very creative!

    Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of cashew cream! Would I find it at Whole Foods?

    Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope you link up with us again next week!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete