Thursday, September 9, 2010

Soy-Free Soy Sauce


I’m not sure about you, but in our household, we LOVE Chinese food! I think I would eat Chinese food every day of the week if I could!

One of my all time favorite meals is stir fry! There is something almost magical about the smell of the vegetable, meat, ginger and soy sauce all combined together! It makes me salivate just thinking about it!

However, in our house, we can’t have soy. Which means no soy sauce, which means our stir fry has been rather…. bland lately! So I have been a search for a good soy-free alternative. (And finding soy free soy sauce is quite the feat!) I stumbled across Coconut Secret, Coconut Aminos! It claimed to be a “soy sauce alternative” so I decided to order it and give it a try!

My quick review: “It’s delicious!” I wouldn’t call it an exact soy sauce replica, as the taste is a little different. It is not quite as salty and a tiny bit sweeter than soy sauce. However, it is a wonderful substitute! It is the same consistency, texture and general flavor of soy sauce!

We made stir-fry last night, and it was delicious! It can be used just like soy sauce, in sauces, marinades, on rice, ect!

Here is a quick over view of how it’s made (from the manufacture of the product):
When the coconut tree is tapped it produces a highly nutrient-rich "sap" that exudes from the coconut blossoms. This sap is raw, very low glycemic, an abundant source of 17 amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and has a nearly neutral pH. A comparison between coconut tree sap and soy, shows that coconut sap contains 2-14 times the amino acid content of soy.
Small batches ensure that our organic, low glycemic Coconut Aminos, made from this natural sap, is a raw enzymatically alive product aged and blended with sun dried, mineral-rich sea salt, hand gathered from pristine waters near the southern islands of the Philippine coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment