Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Goals - What are Yours?


I strongly believe that 99.9% of very successful people are successful because they, at one point, sat down and decided what their goals were, and then went after them. I could point you towards numerous stories about this exact thing (check out http://www.goal-setting-for-success.com/motivational-stories.html)

Not everyone has goals of being uber successful, making millions of dollars or becoming president. I know mine are nothing close to that! I do, however, have a lot of things that I want to accomplish or get better at while I am here on this earth. I want to make the biggest impact I can while I’m here. I also know that my life gets busy, and I often get caught up in the day-to-day routine and my “goals” get pushed to the back burner.

I was prayerfully lead to the decision to create a goal list for myself. After deciding to switch to whole food eating and more natural living, I was completely overwhelmed by the things I wanted to accomplish and strive towards. After complaining about this to my husband and the Lord multiple times, I was lead to a blog post about goal setting.

I took that as a very personal, tender reminder that God does not do all the work for us. Yes, he will guide and help us, but he does require that we put in the time and work to fulfill his purpose for our life.

I started by making one big goal list. I just wrote down every thing that was on my heart and mind. Here is the end result:



I then printed this list and hung it right on my mirror. I decided to tackle 1 or 2 items a month. I can proudly say that I have checked off a large chunk of these items! There are some long term goals on here that will take longer to tackle, but that’s okay, because I am daily reminding myself to accomplish them!

I have also started making monthly goals. These are smaller goals that I want to focus on each month, like trying a new recipe or reading a certain amount of books. I am finding this a huge help in keeping me focused during the week and month.
So, I encourage you to take some time to sit down and think about what it is you want to accomplish in this life, what are the things that you’ve been wanting to do, but haven’t had the time to do. Make a list. Then tackle it, one thing at a time.
“Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3: 13-14”

No comments:

Post a Comment